Whilst the Covid-19 virus is sweeping across the world and taking lives, it is also taking the livelihood away from people and reducing income.  If you have been paying maintenance to your ex-partner what can you do if you have lost your job or are on furlough?

If you are paying on a voluntary basis, you need to come to an amicable agreement with your ex-partner to take account of the very unique situation we are facing.  By not agreeing matters with your ex-partner, you may be leaving yourself open to a court application.

Again, if you are paying under a court order you should try to resolve amicably, but you should ensure that you have some evidence of the new arrangement.  A court order can be varied by mutual consent without informing the court, but there are risks if there is no evidence.  Therefore, you need to make sure that any new agreement is written down in some form and ideally signed by you both.

If you cannot reach an agreement then you must make an application to the court, in which case you would be strongly advised to seek legal advice.

You may have not needed financial support until now in which case you should try to reach an amicable agreement and be prepared to explain how your need arises.  Again if you cannot come to an amicable agreement an application can be made to the court.

Whilst the courts are not currently operating on a face to face basis, many matters are still being heard via telephone conferencing and via online platforms such as Skype and zoom.

At Maxwell Hodge we can advise you appropriately and help you reach an amicable agreement.

In the end it always pays to seek proper legal advice. At Maxwell Hodge we can arrange telephone consultations for a fixed fee of £110 plus Vat.