In modern Britain, cohabitation is a more popular option for couples than ever before. Sadly, some cohabiting couples fail to realise that they do not enjoy the same rights and legal protection as a married couple or civil partners and only realise when the relationship has ended.

It is important that before you consider moving in with a partner you take protective measures against what may materialise to you if the worst happens.

You can enter into a Cohabitation Agreement setting out what you both intend your rights to be should the relationship break down. A cohabitation agreement can include:

  • Arrangements for any children.
  • Whether the property is jointly owned, and if so in what shares it is held.
  • Is the property owned by one party? If so, who will reside in the property should the relationship break down?
  • What will happen to the contents of the property?
  • How will the bills be paid and by whom?

Even where a couple has not entered into one of these agreements, there is an option for a couple who want to reach an agreement at the end of their relationship whereby they can have a document drawn up known as a Separation Agreement. A Separation Agreement can set out how a couple intends to divide their assets and make arrangements for children, as long as the couple are still on good terms.

Whether you are intending to cohabit with your partner or considering separation, it is important that you seek advice in relation to entering into a Cohabitation Agreement at the earliest opportunity. This is where Maxwell Hodge Solicitors can help – we have a dedicated family team who have experience in assisting Armed Forces Personnel and Veterans.

If you need advice and assistance, please contact one of our offices listed below to arrange an appointment.

Aintree – 0151 526 9321

Formby – 01704 872156

Heswall – 0151 342 6447

Huyton – 0151 489 6161

Kirkby – 0151 548 7370

Maghull – 0151 526 7131

West Kirby – 0151 625 9254

Woolton – 0151 421 2400