What happens if I am in an accident with an Untraced or Uninsured Motorist?

Here is what you should do: –


Untraced Driver

If you have been in an accident with an untraced driver, (a person who leaves the scene of the accident without leaving their details, or a hit and run driver) then you may be eligible to make a claim for your injuries and damage to your vehicle or other property through the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (the MIB).

Should you find yourself in this position, there are three steps you should follow: –

  1. Report the incident to the police: If you wish to make a claim for personal injury, you must report your accident to the police within 14 days. Alternatively, should you wish to claim for damage to your vehicle, you must report the accident to the police within 5 days from the date it occurred.
  2. Make Enquires: The identity of an Untraced Driver can be difficult to establish. On that basis, you should check any details with the police. If you are unable to identify the driver, then are you able to provide the police with the make and model and registration so that enquires can be carried out?
  3. Contact your own insurance company. All accidents should be reported.


Uninsured Driver

Should you find yourself in an unfortunate situation that you have been in an accident with a vehicle whose driver is uninsured, (for example, a person who is driving without any insurance) then they will be classed as an uninsured driver. You should report the matter to your own insurance company.

You can bring a claim through the MIB for injuries and damages for a claim against an uninsured driver.

Unfortunately, if you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured or untraced driver, your claim will often take a lot longer to deal with than an insured claim.

If you think you may have a claim, contact a member of our Personal Injury Team today.